Wednesday, March 29, 2017

AMERICAN BITTERSWEET

I've never seen nor heard of this plant before last year... my friend was in the creek by our work putting out crawfish traps (that's a whole other story... www.bruneauxbait.com) and I happened to see a bush with these strikingly bright orange berries.  Immediately I went to artist mode and just HAD to have a few branches.  So God bless him, he waded through the freezing cold water to get to the other side of the water where I was pointing!

So, so interesting and pretty.  And now that I know what it is I hope to watch for it to bloom this year and maybe dig up a start for home.  The stems dried and the berries crinkled but not before I took lots of photos! 

This study I painted last winter and it actually is on watercolor paper (not very good one but, still).  I drew it again in my Stillman and Birn Zeta series journal.  Which I LOVE very much!!!! And everyone really likes how you can paint across the seam for a full page study.  Hobby Lobby has a 40% off sale many times through the year so that's a great time to stock up on their journals. 

(color mixes I'll list shortly)
  I hope to really capture the glossy sheen on the red berries next time.  And I think some drybrushing on the more textured orange covering will be a much needed improvement.

0 comments: