Friday, March 31, 2017

ANOTHER DAHLIA

This is a tiny study of a dahlia before it opens.  I love the delicate colors.  This was done on an expensive watercolor paper.  I painted it back late last summer.... it's showing some improvement from my start in January.... but still sooo much to learn!
(first layer put down using Jane's Gray mix which is a sort of "botanical gray" using French Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna.  Many botanical artists us a "botanical gray" consisting  Light Red with French Ultramarine Blue.  Pretty much the same thing except the Light Red is brighter and more orangey in my opinion.  I need to do a side by side comparison of the tow and see which I like better!)

(Some yellows and greens going down - I don't know why this photo turned out so yellowish)

(Finished dahlia.  I felt a little more confidence in myself after I painted this little study)

0 comments: