Sunday, March 26, 2017

HELLEBORE

Hellebore (or Christmas Rose, Lenten Rose) is a stunning flower that is usually the very first to bloom, often in the dead of winter with snow on the ground!  I was told you'd get more blooms if you cut off all the leaves first but I don't know if that is a valid idea.  A friend of mine leaves hers to Mother Nature's whims and her patches of hellebore spread like crazy and bloom for an entire month or longer!  They are gorgeous!!!   

(Mom's Hellebore)

(Friend's massive Hellebore clumps - I'm so jealous)
 Seems like many of us botanical artists want to paint this flower; maybe because it is the ONLY flower blooming for a long time for any of us?  It's a challenging one I believe!  I painted this one in my mixed media journal - I was wanting to figure out how to paint the center before I went even further.  This was about a year ago.  Can't seem to get my nerve up to do it now!
(color mixes later)

0 comments: