Skip to main content

ORANGE CANDLE FLOWER

This is a really spectacular plant.  I've not seen what it does during the spring or summer before it's flower turns into this really cool green and then develops into brilliant orange "berries".... The leaves are beautiful even in winter.  I've gotten a tiny "start" from my garden friend who has mounds of these and also where I took all my photos last year to paint.  So, again, this is a study from last year in my mixed media journal. 

There is also my JACK IN THE PULPIT going to seed on the left side.  That's the coolest story! Each Mother's Day I go into the woods and look for trilliums. There's a place I found with hundreds of trilliums just growing wild near a creek down a very, very, very dangerously steep hill in what we call here the "boonies".  Which means in a place out of now where that if you slip and fall no one would ever find you.... But I love my Mom and she loves trilliums so I go digging.  And to make it that much more fun, This time I took my brother and his two boys who think this is the greatest adventure EVER!  And it's rainy.  Yes!

I'm digging up trilliums and finding really beautiful ferns of different varieties. All of a sudden out of no where, I look down and scream "JACK"!!!  The kids look at me like I'm crazy.  I've never seen one in real life but here one is.... a jack in the pulpit!  Such an awesome find.  So we have to search and search until we find one for each of us (Mom and me).  I can't believe we find two! That was the year before.

So, last year, I go again but by myself.  Digging up beautiful ferns and praying for another "jack" (I found them online for over $40).  I had two of those big FoodLion bags that have a flat bottom.  Great for flower picking.  Both are already about 40 pounds each full of plants, roots and dirt (and a couple of energy drinks).  The hill is so steep and slippery it's hard to walk and much less carrying the extremely heavy bags.  I put one down to get it on my way back and head to a patch of maiden hair ferns I found (awesome find), they are so delicate in how they fan out.  It starts pouring down rain.  I'm so far from my car and have to go back to get the bag I had sat down.  I've looked almost four hours for a "jack" and haven't had any luck.  

Well, going back to the bag, I'm just above it and figure the best way to tread was to slide on my hiney until I reached the bag.  As soon as I plopped down my hand layed right beside a "JACK"!!!! It  was complete luck again.  And the only one I found all day.  Heading home drenched and my arms and back aching so badly, I was smiling! Trip - a success.

Long story short, here is Jack in the pulpit that overwinter and came back out for me to paint!  We'll see if he does again.  I know where I'm heading close to Mother's Day... another probably rainy day snitching trilliums, ferns and "Jacks".  Oh, and this past time, I found a huge patch of Beebalm.  What on Earth? 
(Orange candle flower)

(Orange candle flower)

(Orange candle flower)

(I'll add color mixes another time)

I'll find a photo of my Jack in the pulpit to share.  This was fun to paint even last year.  It'll be interesting to see how it'll look now. I actually just this week drew another orange candle flower to paint.  We'll compare the two we I finish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fuschias

Fuschias are one of my favorite flowers.  I have overwintered probably ~25 or more.  Now's the time of year I need to repot and trim them down.  The extra stems I'll put in water or an awesome fertilizer called Eleanoors.  I mean it is AWESOME!!!  Two tablespoons in a gallon of water -  you put the stems in a glass with the mixed Eleanoors and within a week sometimes (two days for coleous to root!) you'll have roots coming out.  I'll leave the starts in the glass for months, changing the water/fertilizer mix every so often. My garden friends and I HIGHLY recommend it.  Usually they even give a free pint (not sure of the size) with every gallon you buy. 

And back to painting stuff.... :)  I painted these a few months ago.  This fuschia is just beautiful, it's one of the bigger, more frilly bloomers.  I enjoyed painting it on the journal paper.  It'll be interesting how much better (hopefully) I'll be able to paint them here later on on hot press watercolor …
As part of my studies for Dianne Sutherland's classes, we have to make a chart with our greens.  I've been dreading it for some reason as I thought it was going to be mundane.  But, I actually really enjoyed it!  I've used the charts many times and want to do more charts with different colors... I don't know why I still have problems with figuring out if colors are cooler or warmer..... Maybe that comes with practice or I think I need to focus and learn more about colors.....   Many blogs have helped me with this... I'll add my favorites as soo as I can find the exact posts.


ROSE CLASS

I'm taking Dianne Sutherland's new ROSE class!  I'm at the very beginning where she asks us to paint a rose with leaf.  I really enjoyed painting the rose,... took my time, did some drybrush work (which I'm still trying to get the hang of).... on the leaves, I just got off on the wrong colors and went downhill from there.  You can just feel when things aren't going right for unexplainable reasons!





Then the first assignment is to accurately measure and draw the front and back of at least four different rose petals.  Then transfer them to watercolor paper and paint them....easy, right? Nope, not for me.  At least not right now.  I can get the drawing down okay... but then painting them is somehow being very difficult to me.  How can painting one single little petal throw me into a tizzy?




zs



Then the first assignment is to accurately measure and draw the front and back of at least four different rose petals.  Then transfer them to watercolor paper and paint them....ea…