Friday, March 31, 2017

PLANT'S NAME?

Last autumn I was walking around my garden seeing what all was still blooming.  In a far corner under a tree I had planted some flowers a garden friend of mine had given me which I didn't have any idea what any of them were... at the time it was all just greenery.  Well, out of the blue, this little flower was in full bloom!  It has tight little flowers all clustered together .  It reminds me of a type of aster. 
 I painted this one in my Stillman and Birn zeta notebook which is just amazing as I've mentioned before.  I don't know why I don't use it for everything... it's like I hold out for really special things to put in it.   (I'm thinking about painting a protea in it this very day!)

(I paint from looking at photographs.  It's how I've always drawn... drawing from real life is something I should probably practice but with my life as crazy as it is I just can't sit down and have a completed drawing before having to stop and start a dozen times.  The blooms will have already dropped by the time I get done!  The "proper" botanical artists paint only by looking at the plant in real life.  Which I agree you can see much more detail or more 3-d detail than by looking at a photograph and you can get a "feel" of the plant's texture, etc by real life.  That being said, cameras have gotten so amazing in how they can capture the tiniest of details forever!  There is a conversation I started on Anna Mason's website/school about this topic.  She mostly paints from a photograph so she understands my point of view.   I DO like having the plant in front of me while I paint, when possible... just for good karma and it's there if I have a question the photograph doesn't answer for me.....  )

(Finished study of...?.....)

0 comments: