Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Painting leaves for Dianne Sutherland's leaf class...

I've been slacking behind on my art this past month... we got an order for 5,000 packs of our fishing lures (Stubby Steve's Fish Food Fishing Lure) so while working on that night and day and also working at our Veterinary Hospital full time I haven't had much time nor energy to paint a lot or blog at all....   plus planting about 400 pots of plants I've over wintered... ugh!!!!

Anyways,... here is the painting leaves assignment I've been working on for my class by Dianne Sutherland.  I never thought I'd enjoy painting leaves since I've been kind of scared of them all this time.  One main thing is finding the right shades of green... and I never realized so much the blues and yellows that can be in each leaf to portray warmth and coolness.    I have so much to learn about color mixing and color temperature,etc.   Dianne's classes have helped a ton with that.  As well as the many blogs of wonderfully talented botanical artists who share their theories and explanations on color matching.    In Anna Mason's newest tutorial Pink Magnolia she explains in more depth about how to color match.  I found it very helpful!

Here is some of my leaf studies in my mixed media journal.  I went back after several days and tried some "drybrush" work over the layers of paint already there. It was nerve wrecking but also exciting..... it's still going to take lots more practice to get that technique down. 
Gerbera Daisy leaves (not finished yet...)

A Peony leaf bud... I thought it looked so neat!



Hibiscus leaf... also, not finished....
Poppy leaves (not finished at all, yet)... These are kind of silvery greenish.  Really fun to paint!

0 comments: